Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Pretending to Work


It's a funny thing to be typing away, fooling the universe into believing that I'm a productive employee. So let's see... first real post, what to say? I guess a wee intro is appropriate.

I'm a 34 year old Marketing Manager and Production Coordinator for a 60 unit restaurant chain in Western (soon to be Eastern, too) Canada. I am divorced, no kids, no pets. I have managed to keep two house plants alive. That's the extent of my commitment level right now.

Work is a big deal. This job is the big push -- the challenge that will define my career for the rest of my life. It's a humbling experience to look at what you do to make money and know that it's such a huge rudder in guiding the bulk of your life. The people I meet, where I go to eat, travel, house and home, the car I drive, what I do with my free time, even how I feel about politics and world events are touched by if not directly forced by work. I guess some may say that's a bad thing.

Relationships wise things are slow. I few years ago I was serial dating. Had some fun, had some heartache. Now I'm just too damned busy. I never thought I'd be too busy for sex, but I am. I'm getting old. Shit. Recently broke up with a boyfriend. Just not on the same wavelength. Oh well. Another one bites the dust. Sometimes I think I should have married the guy I dated in college.

Then I wake up.

(Oh lordy lord, I'd have four kids, be fat-assed and living in Utah. There's a visual.)

I'm still peripherally involved with the music industry. I sit on an advisory board for a music school, representing the retail end of things. Music is still a passion of mine. Nothing will ever replace it. I was listening to an old old tape of the choir I was in during my one big year of college. Brought back a lot of memories. What I would give to go on Choir Tour again. Ha. I think if I went back to visit myself when I was in college I would have some very risque advice to give myself. Mostly about one night with a basketball player. Dayum.

I digress. (It's my blog, so I guess I can't really digress, can I?)

Okokokokokokok, the boss is getting suspicious.
Later, yo.

1 comment:

John Doheny said...

Hi Chris.

Nice to see your face. I've missed you:-)