Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Boxing Day

Well, it's over. Yesterday I ate too much, drank too much egg nog and went home feeling bloated and gross. Happy Holidays. Ugh.

But Boxing Day is always a nice day for me. I don't shop on Boxing Day, because I'm not an idiot. I like it for two reasons; I used to work in retail and always had to work today. And it was a living hell of women fighting over 9 dollar jeans and trying to bargain at the 500-person line-up cash desk. Crazy. The other reason is that it's just a quiet reflective day. Play with my presents, have a coffee, bundle up and head to the pub. I won't talk to too many people today. Just hermit-it-up and try not to think about how many calories I ate yesterday and how many people that would have fed in another country. Does Bono have a big turkey dinner? If he does I would be somewhat relieved.

James Brown died on Xmas Eve, in his typical dramatic fashion. What a life. We know so little of his music - there are hours and hours of songs that you haven't heard. That I haven't either. But evidently there's a 6 hour radio show, just him. 6 hours. I will safely say there are no young artists out there, save perhaps Vance Gilbert and Martin Sexton, maybe a few others, that I think could do a six hour show of their own material. Insanity.

It's off to the pub for me!

No comments: